Bonsai Tree Starter Kit in Gift Box
Bonsai Tree Starter Kit in Gift Box features a 2-year old Japanese Juniper Bonsai Tree and is the perfect gift for someone just beginning the hobby of Bonsai.
Our Bonsai Tree Starter Kit features a 2-year old Japanese Juniper Bonsai Tree and is the perfect gift for someone just beginning the hobby of Bonsai. The Juniper Bonsai Tree averages 6″ in height with a 4″ spread. Japanese Juniper Bonsai Trees are perfect for patio and outdoor areas. The Juniper Bonsai is very hardy, requiring bright lighting and moist watering conditions.
- Complete Bonsai Tree Starter Kit in Gift Box
- Live 2 year old Japanese Juniper (Juniperus procumbens nana) approximately 5″ – 6″ in height with 3″ – 4″ spread
- Ceramic Bonsai Pot measuring approximately 4″ in length
- Bonsai Potting Mix for planting your tree
- Decorative Moss for decoration
- Pebbles for planting and decoration
- Instructions on how to plant your Bonsai
- Tree should be planted within 2-3 weeks after receipt
- State agricultural restrictions prohibit delivery of this tree to California or Hawaii
- The actual Bonsai and Container you receive may vary in size, shape, and color from the kit pictured
WARNING WE ARE UNABLE TO SHIP JAPANESE JUNIPER TREES TO CALIFORNIA.
Bonsai Tree Starter Kit
- Open your kit and remove all components.
- Place the brown soil disc in a cup with 1/2 cup of water. After the water has been absorbed, fluff up the growing medium.
- Cover the bottom of the container with a layer of pebbles for good drainage. Save the remaining pebbles.
- Remove your tree from the grow pot. Loosen the bottom of the soil and roots with your fingers. Try not to disturb the soil at the center or top of the root mass. Place your tree in the container and spread the roots loosely keeping them within the container.
- Fill the container with the potting medium from the hydrated disc to cover all the roots. Pack firmly with your fingers keeping the soil level and slightly below the top of the container.
- Watering bonsai is very important. Use a misting attachment on a hose or sink to slowly water through the foliage until water drips through the hole in the bottom of the container. Never let it dry out.
- Place moss in water for a few minutes then place it on top of the soil around the tree, press firmly in place. Decorate the rest of the surface with the remaining pebbles.
Click here to download the PDF: Bonsai Tree Starter Kit Instructions
Bonsai Trees thrive for years with proper care. Most important is bright light and consistent watering.
Most bonsai prefer the outdoors with fresh air, light, and water and do best on a covered patio with filtered sunlight or outside under a shade tree.
If you want to bring your bonsai inside, it should be only for a few days, then place it back outside for fresh air and natural light.
There is a distinct balance between the amount of light a bonsai requires and the amount of water it requires. The more light a bonsai gets, the more water it needs. The less light, the less water.
Depending on the amount of light and temperature of your environment, this may mean watering your tree to saturation daily. NEVER allow the soil to dry out. You will also want to spray or mist the foliage as often as possible.
If using a tray under your bonsai, make sure the tree does not sit in water by using pebbles on the tray to keep the pot above the water level.
Most bonsai can withstand temperatures below freezing; however, we recommend that they be brought inside during severely cold weather and kept in a room near a window with good bright light.
Bonsai should be transplanted when the roots begin growing out the sides of the container. For most bonsai, this occurs about every two to three years. It is best to repot in the Spring and yearly new rich soil should be added to your tree.
Use a good fertilizer designed for Bonsai. Eve’s Garden has designed Bonsai Master Fertilizer, a mild 7-8-6 formula with everything you need to make your bonsai thrive. Fertilize March to October and be careful not to over fertilize. Always follow the directions on the label of the fertilizer you are using!
PRUNING & TRIMMING BONSAI
Pruning and trimming can be performed on your tree throughout the year. In the case of deciduous trees, such as maples and elms, pruning and trimming is best performed during the growing season. Juniper, pines, and cypress are finger-nipped throughout the growing season to keep the tree shaped. Trimming the under and inner growth is needed monthly.